Monday, January 7, 2008

Anwar Ibrahim’s Visit to Kuala Kangsar and Lumut - Din Merican

The Winds of Change have come to Perak Darul Ridzuan

The trip with Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim to Kuala Kangsar and Lumut on January 4, 2007 was indeed a punishing one. My colleagues and I did not return to Kuala Lumpur until 3.a.m on January 5. But it provided me with the opportunity to be in another part of our country where I had not been for long time (I was a frequent visitor during my school days at the Penang Free School for competitive soccer and hockey with our great rivals, Maktab Melayu). Except for Kuala Kangsar, the places we traversed that day were unfamiliar to me.

The programme was packed with places to visit, each precisely timed. We arrived on time for Friday prayers at Masjid Ridzwaniah (adjacent to the famous Maktab Melayu/Malay College) in Kuala Kangsar town. Dato Seri Anwar was warmly received by mosque officials and the jumaah, including the students who waited patiently to shake his hands and exchange pleasantries with their famous old boy. After prayers, we accompanied Dato Seri Anwar to Taman Chandan Puteri for the opening of a new Parti KeADILan Rakyat branch where some 230 Indian members were received. He spoke to a gathering of 500 people and encouraged them to work hard as the 12th national elections is only months away.

Read more............

No comments: